Through Clinica Bienestar, community members can now access PrEP, free screenings, and access to prescriptions and testing.
First, our program screens patients to see if PrEP is right for them. Those who qualify are provided with a prescription to start taking a daily medication. When taken daily as directed, PrEP can reduce the risk of HIV infection by more than 90 percent.
People who receive PrEP at Bienestar Human Services receive the following:
- Personalized Primary Care, including consultation for PrEP
- Routine HIV/STI Screening and Testing
- Prescriptions and refills for PrEP
- Care navigation with enrolling in insurance or signing up for special PrEP cost programs
Latinx people comprise 18% of the US population
But accounted for 29% of new US HIV diagnoses between 2015 and 2019.
PrEP reduces the risk of getting HIV from sex by about 99%
Is PrEP right for you?
There are a number of things that you should consider when thinking about taking PrEP. PrEP helps reduce the chance of getting HIV but does not prevent other sexually transmitted infections. So even while on PrEP you should continue to use safe sex practices and get tested for HIV and STIs regularly.
Meet Juan Carlos, a member of la familia Bienestar and PrEP advocate. After learning he qualified to receive PrEP for free without insurance, he jumped at the chance to feel more secure about his sexual health.
You may want to take PrEP if:
- You don’t always use condoms.
- Had or currently have a sexually transmitted infection.
- Have sexual partner(s) who don’t know their HIV status.
- Have sex in a geographic area or sexual network where HIV is prevalent.
How to take PrEP:
- Take one pill once a day with or without food.
- Take PrEP every day, not just when you think you have been exposed to HIV.
- Do not miss any doses of PrEP. Missing doses may increase your risk of getting HIV.
- PrEP is most effective when taken every day.
We can help you with or without insurance through assistance programs. We are committed to helping our community afford medicine and navigating coverage and benefits.
For more information about PrEP, please contact:
Alexis Dueñas (she/her)
P: 866.590.6411 – Ext 140